Posted by Mike Staff on Feb 16, 2012 7:02:00 AM
To preserve your wedding memories, it is critical to select the right photographer for your wedding day. While each couple will have their own unique needs, these questions are a great starting point as you interview photographers.
- HOW CAN I VIEW YOUR PORTFOLIO? Online galleries are a convenient option, but don't always tell the whole story. If you are considering an album purchase, it is best to view in person so you can inspect the materials and designs.
- WHAT IS YOUR STYLE? There are several photography styles; traditional, photojournalistic, stylized, candid. Look for a photographer that offers a blend of these styles to meet your needs. Ask them to define the term to be sure it meets your definition. They should have sample images to support their styles.
- WILL I RECEIVE MY HIGH RESOLUTION IMAGES ON A DVD? DO I OWN THE RIGHTS? Make sure that the DVD includes high resolution images and a personal copyright release. Without one, you can not print your own images!
- HOW MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS WORK WITH YOU? Make sure there is enough to guarantee a photographer is “on-call”.
- DOES THE PHOTOGRAPHER WORK WITH THE DJ, VIDEOGRAPHER AND HALL MANAGER? Yes.
- ARE WE ALLOWED TO SUBMIT OUR OWN SHOT LIST? Yes. Yes. Beware of photographers that do not ask for your input.
- WHAT ATTIRE WILL YOU WEAR TO THE WEDDING? A photographer should be dressed in professional business attire.
- DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN ANY ONLINE WEDDING COMMUNITIES? A reputable photographer will have an online profile with highly regarded online resources such as theknot.com and weddingwire.com. This is a great place to read reviews from real brides.
- IS THERE SOMEONE TO REPLACE THE PHOTOGRAPHER IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY? Yes. A photographer will be prepared and standing by.
- WILL YOU BRING BACK-UP CAMERAS AND LENSES ? Absolutely.
- ARE YOU INSURED? Do not hire a company that doesn't have at least $1,000,000 of coverage.
- WILL WE RECEIVE A PERSONAL CONSULTATION PRIOR TO OUR WEDDING DATE? Yes.
- CAN I CONTACT PREVIOUS CLIENTS FOR A REFERENCE? No problem.
- DO YOU ACCEPT MAJOR CREDIT CARDS? Yes. This signals a professional & reputable company.
- HOW MUCH DO YOU COST? Stay away from "bargain" photographers!
- HOW MANY HOURS DOES THAT INCLUDE? Should offer packages that vary to meet your needs.
- HOW MUCH FOR ADDITIONAL HOURS? Rate should be stated on paperwork in advance.
- WILL THE PHOTOGRAPHER REQUIRE A MEAL? It is standard to feed the photographer, DJ and videographer.Venues will usually offer discounted prices for vendors.
- HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO RECEIVE MY PROOFS? Online image proofs and album designs make it convenient for you to view your wedding day images without another time consuming meeting. Proofs should be available in a short turn around time - such as one month from your wedding date.
- MAY I REVIEW YOUR CONTRACT? Never do business with any wedding professionals that does not clearly spell out what you should expect!
Ready to learn more about the photographers at Mike Staff? Check our availability below.